Fresh off her first stint in Europe as the newest member of CANYON//SRAM Racing, we chased down our 2016 Zwift Academy Champion, Leah Thorvilson, to get a glimpse of what the life of a pro is really like. As a testament to her toughnesses, her first 4 pro races took place in Belgium, amid what is arguably the sport's most challenging terrain and weather. Here's her first impressions...
21. Cobbles- harder or easier than expected?
As hard as I expected, but I like them more than I thought I would
20. Favorite food in Belgium?
19. If you are going to learn a language- which one?
18. Team pre-race ritual?
Alé oiling everyone's legs
17. Which country has best coffee so far?
That's tough and a highly debated topic on the team...I really only had one coffee (Keurig doesn't count) in Italy so i'm not sure it's fair to say....Italy and Australia both over Belgium
16. Hardest thing about being in Europe for month?
Nothing being familiar....and missing Andy
15. Best thing about being in Europe for a month?
Experiencing new and beautiful landscapes
14. Funniest thing someone has said to you before/during/after a race?
I've been asked twice if I was Trixi
13. Besides your teammates, are you meeting other pro racers?
12. Has anyone asked you about Zwift Academy?
All the time
11. What food do you miss most from home?
Simply Leah's salad from the Pantry
10. Favorite training climb so far?
9. Favorite off-the-bike piece of team clothing?
Rapha half zip sweater with the pink cuffs
8. Do you keep your race numbers?
I've kept the last 2, but not before that
7. What do you tell yourself on start line?
Psalm 46:5 - Her God is with her, she will not fall
6. One thing you did surprisingly well?
Handled the cobbles
5. One thing you really want to improve?
Being comfortable in the middle of the bunch
4. I want to take all the ______ home with me to Arkansas.
3. Proudest team moment?
For me? finishing my second race .... for the team? Pajot Hills when they had a perfect race lead out to get Baby second....that's the happiest I've seen them all as a team with an effort
2. Best advice you've been given so far?
Get comfortable being uncomfortable
1. Next race?
I don't know. Lol
Extra Credit: Are you still living the dream?
Ride On, Leah!