Zwift wouldn’t be where it is today without the support and involvement of our community. You’ve been with us every step of the way and we’re excited to launch FutureWorks, a platform to soft launch new innovations from the team at Zwift HQ. Test new projects. Share your voice. Your feedback and experience will help us shape the Zwift of tomorrow. Get ready to grab life by the handlebars, as we introduce... steering! This is the first innovation to roll out under FutureWorks, adding an entirely new layer to the game. Steering functionality has been a goal long in the making, with creator Jon Mayfield personally involved in the feature's development since the birth of Zwift.
How to Use FutureWorks Off-Road Steering
Here’s what you need to know to participate in FutureWorks Off-Road Steering. There are some software and hardware requirements.
- First, you’ll need the latest version of our Zwift Companion app downloaded and installed on your smartphone. This free app lets you navigate on Zwift, MeetUp with friends, view activities— and now steer! iPhone users can head to the iOS App Store, and Android users can find it at the Google Play Store. You must download the app in order to steer.
- Second, you’ll need to mount your phone onto your handlebars. One recommended option is the iOMount, available at the Zwift Shop. You’ll need a mount because steering is controlled via your phone’s accelerometer. Turn left + right and you’ll point your avatar in that direction.
Photo Credit: Mike Levy/Pinkbike
How to Join the FutureWorks Off-Road Steering Test
- This is where the fun begins. Log in to Zwift and open up the Zwift Companion app on your phone. Make sure you’re paired on the same WiFi network you’re using to run Zwift. Please note, that as a FutureWorks test initiative, steering will not be available on all devices right away.
- Next, head to Titan’s Grove in Watopia. Choose the Muir and the Mountain route to get dropped there immediately. Check out our blog for more directions within the game.
- While riding in Titan’s Grove, you’ll come upon a turn-off near the middle of the route. Don’t worry, you won’t miss it! The game will prompt you well in advance. Choose to keep riding uninterrupted, or, if you’d like to test steering, select the steering option and...voila! You’re now in the Off-Road Steering Test. Your avatar will switch bikes as you hit the trails.
- The trail is about 2 miles in length. We added in a timed Mountain Trail segment for some fun competition. Find the right lines and steer like an expert, you’ll be awarded stars based on your skill. Complete the full course in under 12:30 with all 10 stars to unlock the Zwift Mountain Bike and Zwift Mountain Wheels. Looks easy, but these lines can be tricky.
Share Your Feedback
- After the test, a screen will pop up asking you to rate your experience and leave a comment. Be honest with us! Providing direct feedback will help us improve steering better for you.
- Once you’re done entering your feedback, click submit and you’re done.
Thanks in advance for participating! Have fun and happy training.
Still have more questions?
Check out our FAQ for more info.