THIS MONTH ON
Zwift Grand Prix
Watch as Zwift’s ultimate teams participate in the Zwift Grand Prix, a thrilling series featuring new and exciting race formats you won’t want to miss!
Dec 2 - Round 5 Men's Race
Dec 9 - Round 5 Women's Race
2023 UCI Cycling Esports World Championships hosted on Zwift
See you in February
In February 2023, Zwift will host the third edition of the UCI Cycling Esports World Championships. The men’s and women’s races will both take on a brand new event format, comprising three back-to-back races, on a brand new race course. The open continental qualification event will conclude with 25 spots for both men and women awarded to represent their respective countries. Recap of these events and details on what is to come below.
RACE TO TRAIN!
Racing on Zwift isn’t just a great way to train—it’s also fun! Race to build fitness, make friends, or level up as you embrace type-2 fun all year round!
Racing on Zwift is the most thrilling and challenging thing you can do on a bike trainer. If you’ve never tried it, you owe it to yourself to give it a go, no matter your abilities!
While Zwift racing is heart-pumping, leg-burning type-2 fun, it’s also a great way to get fit, fast. Races can be utilized as short and effective workouts that allow you to get in shape and build community at the same time. From beginners to elite athletes and everyone in between, there is a race for you on Zwift.
Individual racing is simple and great for anyone who wants to jump in and compete. Featuring a thematic race every month with one stage per week and multiple opportunities throughout the day to race, the ZRacing Monthly Series is a great place to get started. Plus, each event can be completed within 1 hour. With Category Enforcement, you will also be able to race with people at the same ability level, making racing fair and fun for all.
If you’ve already got the basic equipment required to ride on Zwift, you’re ready to go! If not, you can find more information HERE.
Here are a few tips and tricks to help level up your racing experience:
- We recommend that all racers sign up for ZwiftPower. Here you can find your race results, analyze your performances, and see your rankings.
- Connecting to ZwiftPower is quick and simple—to find out more, click HERE.
- Stay cool with a good fan—racing on Zwift produces a lot of body heat. A few more tips? Make sure you’re well fueled, well hydrated, and your fan on its highest setting!
There are many ways to sign up for a race on Zwift. You can register through the in-game home screen, Zwift.com/events, or on the Zwift Companion app.
No matter which option you choose, you can scroll through upcoming events, read the event’s route/course description, and select which category you’d like to join. If you want to look ahead, check out the Zwift Companion app.
All races are different. Here are few tips to keep in mind:
- Fast Start - Zwift races almost always start fast! Be ready to ramp up your power before the countdown reaches zero. Be prepared to hold this high pace for a few minutes. Don’t worry, it will settle into a more sustainable rhythm, eventually.
- Conserve Energy - You can benefit from drafting behind other riders just like you would in the real world. Drafting effectively throughout a race can help you conserve energy when you need it most, so try to find a nice spot in the middle of the bunch. Watch the nearby riders list for fluctuations in other riders’ power and decide if you need to match it in order to hold your position.
- Watch The Gap! - Avoid hovering at the back of the pack. Watch for gaps that might appear in front of you. Losing the gap means losing the draft, which makes keeping up with the group difficult. Staying in the middle of the pack is more advantageous if you want to stay fresh throughout the race.
- Cadence - Use your trainer as the cadence source when you pair it to Zwift and experiment with different cadences at varying points throughout the race. Start with a slow, out of the saddle grind or a pick up speed in a seated spin. It’s your race!
- Climbs - Be ready to put out more power when the gradient increases and make sure to keep a smooth cadence on the ascent. Maintain your power over the crest of the hills.
- PowerUps - PowerUps are a key part of any Zwift racing strategy. Knowing when and how to use specific PowerUps will enhance your racing experience. Read more here.
Research Your Race. Do your homework! Knowing the route will make racing easier. The most effective way to do this is to Google the route name ahead of time.